Netherlands M2i

Programme Profile: Partner 28

Stichting Materials inovation institute - M2i

Name of the programme/initiative:

„M2i – Materials to innovate the industry”

Programme website

http://www.m2i.nl/rulesparticipationmeranet2call2017/

Programme owner

Materials innovation institute (M2i)

Program manager (executing funding organisation)

Materials innovation institute (M2i)

Contact person
Details: e-mail, tel.

Name: Lima Kohestani
Phone: +31 88 035 1910
E-mail: l.kohestani@m2i.nl

Type of research eligible for funding (e.g. basic research, applied research, innovation)
(basic research, applied research, innovation)

Fundamental (TRL 3-5), industrial research (TRL 4-6) and/or experimental development (TRL 5-7) in one or more topics from the M-ERA.NET-2 work programme; the topics must also fit within the scope of the High Tech Materials (HTM) Roadmap[1];

Temporary research positions (PhD, postdoc, PDEng) are eligible for a duration of three years (the maximum duration of the M-ERA.NET project. In the case of PhD projects, a fourth year can be funded separately from M.ERA-NET, provided the industrial commitment for the project is extended accordingly.[1] http://www.hollandhightech.nl/nationaal/innovatie/roadmaps/high-tech-materials

Funding rates (approx.)

  • 85% for research organizations[1], provided that the remaining 15% is funded from industrial sources. Only temporary research positions (PhD, postdoc, PDEng) can be applied for. The match funding must be covered by the industrial partner(s) in the Dutch consortium and needs to be confirmed at the submission (signed commitment letter attached to the application). Proposals which do not include a letter of commitment for the co-financing will not be considered eligible.
  • 40% funding for the industrial participants (companies). The companies with SME status can receive 60% funding. The maximum eligible budget per industrial participant is limited to 50.000 euro.
 [1] According to the Commission Regulation (EU) No. 651/2014 of 17 June 2014 declaring certain categories of aid compatible with the internal market in application of Articles 107 and 108 of the Treaty (Text with EEA relevance): an entity (such as universities or research institutes, technology transfer agencies, innovation intermediaries, research-oriented physical or virtual collaborative entities), irrespective of its legal status (organised under public or private law) or way of financing, whose primary goal is to independently conduct fundamental research, industrial research or experimental development.

Major eligibility restrictions
(e.g. types of organisations, thematic restrictions)

Dutch consortia formed by one university and at least one industrial partner are eligible for funding (provided the other M-ERA.NET rules are complied with), for the following funding rates and under the following conditions:

  • At least one company in the consortium must have already contributed to the “PPS (formerly TKI) grondslag” for HTM[1]. The other Dutch companies will commit to contributing to the “TKI grondslag” for HTM as of 2017. This will have to be stated in the letter of commitment.

  • The administrative costs, amounting to 10.000 euro/project*year*company (large enterprise) and 5.000 euro/project*year*SME, will be fully covered by the industrial participants and will be clearly indicated in the letter of commitment.

[1] http://www.rvo.nl/subsidies-regelingen/tki-toeslag/tki-projecttoeslag-2015-2017

Geographical coverage (national/regional)

National – The Netherlands.

National/regional schedule, cut-off dates, deadlines

A letter of commitment from the industry, indicating the cash co-funding to the project and the confirmation to cover the project administration costs, must be appended to the M-ERA.NET-2 proposal application.